Complaints Procedure

It is important that concerns and complaints by students, staff, parents/caregivers and members of the community are resolved as quickly as possible and in a fair and consistent manner, in order to ensure the best educational outcomes for students and to facilitate confidence in college processes.

Procedures for Concerns

a) Concerns of Students
Students are encouraged to talk directly to their teachers whenever a concern arises. However, if the student does not feel this is appropriate or the concern is not resolved, they should approach their Mentor Teacher, the relevant LOLA or Head of House.
b) Concerns of Parents/Caregivers

(i) Where a parent/caregiver has a concern about a classroom matter, they should first try to contact the teacher involved to discuss the matter. This is best done by phoning the school or writing to the teacher concerned. Contact details must be included or left with the college receptionist. Teachers will endeavour to respond to parent/caregiver contact by the end of the following school day.
(ii) If the response provided does not fully address the concern, the parent/caregiver may take the matter further by making a formal complaint (see below).

c) Other Concerns

If a parent/caregiver has a concern about any other matter which they feel unable to discuss with the teacher directly or which does not involve a particular teacher, they may phone or write to one of the following people. :

  1. Their son’s/daughter’s Mentor Teacher
  2. The relevant LOLA
  3. The Head of House of their son’s/daughter’s year level
  4. The Guidance Counsellor
  5. A Deputy Principal
  6. The Principal
Concerns from the wider community should be directed in the first instance to either the Principal or a Deputy Principal. If the concern from a member of the wider community is about a staff member it should be directed to the Principal.
d) Concerns of Participants in Community Education
Participants are encouraged to talk directly to their tutor whenever a concern arises or to contact the Community Education Coordinator to discuss it as soon as possible. If the response provided does not fully address their concerns, they may wish to take the matter further by making a formal complaint (see below).

Procedure for Making a Formal Complaint

Where the College’s response to a concern is unsatisfactory or a formal complaint is to be made, these procedures should be followed:

  1. The complaint should be recorded in writing with details that include the full nature of the complaint, efforts made to resolve the matter and the complainant’s name and contact phone number.
  2. The written formal complaint should be addressed to the Principal.
  3. When the complaint is received, the Principal will discuss the matter with the complainant to seek clarification before deciding what action should be taken. The complainant may have a support person during this process if desired.
  4. The Principal will investigate the complaint by procuring all relevant documentation and interviewing all relevant parties. Written statements will normally be taken.
  5. The Principal will decide what steps will be taken as a result of the investigation and will ensure that a record of the complaint, the process and the outcome is kept in the confidential Complaints File.
  6. Depending on the nature of the complaint, the matter may be referred to the Board of Trustees for consideration and action.
  7. The complaint will generally be treated in confidence. However, in the interests of natural justice, any persons included in a complaint must have the opportunity to hear all details about it and have the opportunity to present their point of view. They may have a support person during any discussion of the complaint if they wish.
  8. Complainants will be informed of the outcome of the investigation.
  9. If a complainant is dissatisfied with the outcome of the complaint they may write to the Board of Trustees for a review of the process. This should be completed within 28 days.