International Students

Selwyn College offers International Students:
  • The best area of the beautiful city of Auckland
  • Top quality education focusing on academic achievement
  • Quality homestay accommodation in a safe neighbourhood
  • Opportunities to make lifelong friendships
  • Diverse sporting, performing arts and cultural activities

What Do You Need To Know?


Students from overseas studying in NZ must hold a current Student Visa (called a “Student Permit” after a student arrives in NZ). An application lodged with the NZ Immigration Service for a Student Visa must be accompanied by a receipt showing all fees have been paid to the College and the “Offer of Place” advising the NZ Immigration Service that your application has been accepted, and that the College guarantees to provide accommodation. You may read full details of conditions under which the NZ Immigration Service issues a Student Visa by consulting the website

Year 12 and 13 students can apply for a variation to their visa to allow them to work up to 20 hours per week during holiday periods with written permission from the school and their parents/legal guardians. More information is obtainable  on the above website.

Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students

The NZ Government has adopted a set of legally binding regulations that applies to educational institutions enrolling students from overseas countries. This “Code of Practice” ensures students receive proper care and attention covering their safety and welfare during the time they are in New Zealand. Selwyn College is a signatory to the “Code of Practice for the Pastoral care of International Students”. Information about the “Code of Practice” can be found on the NZ Ministry of Education website at

Disputes Resolution Scheme

If an international student has a complaint you may find more information about what to do by clicking here

Medical Insurance

Students from overseas do not receive health care paid for by the NZ Government. If students receive medical treatment (other than for accidents) while they are in NZ they may be required to pay the full cost of that care. It is a legal requirement that international students hold comprehensive travel and medical insurance for the period of time they spend in NZ.  Insurance cover (which must be approved by the College) can be arranged by the College or by an agent acting on your behalf. The College recommends cover with Southern Cross insurance firm who specialise in handling international students. 

Level of English Language

Students enrolling at Selwyn College are expected to have a level of English that allows them to join mainstream classes. When you first arrive at Selwyn College you will be assessed to establish your level of English. This is not an examination.  The English language assessment lets the College know which level you would be best suited for. You will then be offered a programme of study that matches your level of English, which may include special English classes with an ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) teacher.

Accident Insurance Cover

In NZ citizens and residents and temporary visitors to NZ are covered for costs of medical treatment in the event of suffering an accident by the Accident Compensation Corporation (“ACC”). However you still may need to pay some costs of treatment associated with an accident. You can find out more specific information by going to the website These costs can normally be claimed against your insurance policy for reimbursement.

Study in New Zealand

If you would like to access information about studying in New Zealand you can click here for the Education New Zealand website and here for the New Zealand Qualifications website.

Information about living in New Zealand

To learn about living in New Zealand, you can click here for the New Zealand Now website and here for the Tourism New Zealand website.


What would an International Student need to do to enrol at Selwyn College?
  • have a current passport
  • complete the online Application Form
  • provide a profile about themselves and their family
  • complete the relevant accommodation form (homestay or designated caregiver)
  • receive an “Offer of Place” stating the College accepted your application
  • pay fees as set by the College (tuition, insurance, exam fees etc.)
  • home-stay accommodation (living in approved accommodation) is an important condition of enrolment at schools in New Zealand. These fees are included in the fees invoice as applicable.

Once these basic steps have been completed a student is able to apply to the NZ Immigration Service for a Student Visa.